Sunday, December 12, 2010

Upcoming TV and Radio

I spent a day in NYC last week taping some segments for ABC's Nightline and for Fox News--pretty exciting! I believe the Nightline piece will air sometime early next week (the week of the 20th). And one of the Fox News pieces was for a Fox and Friends special that's supposed to air Christmas Eve. The other Fox piece is online only, I think. When I have more information, I'll be sure to post it.

But I do know that I'll be on the Diane Rehm Show on Monday, December 20th, from 11AM-12PM EST (the second hour of the show)! I'm thrilled and flattered to be interviewed by Diane Rehm, as she's one of the best in the business and a huge personal favorite of mine.

I'll post again on these appearances once we get a little closer and I have more info.

NOTE: For y'all in Oklahoma, the Diane Rehm Show is on from 9AM-11AM CST, so I'll be on from 10-11. And for those of you in Arizona, I've heard reports that the second hour is on first (??), from 9-10. Beyond that, check your local listings! And if you miss it, I'm sure it will be available at the NPR website in perpetuity.

2 comments:

  1. After your guest interview on Diane Rehm Show (NPR) I ordered your book at BN dot-com; I am pleased that you include the entire text from the Syriac to English as well as the parallel artwork details with captions. I emailed in a question for you during the NPR talkshow and am still confused about what you were saying about how the RSV translation you read was mostly still based on a KJV (King James-translation) basis that misses some of the Matthew 2 subtleties. Thanks for offering this Blog via the GOOGLE Blogspot utilities!
    Tim Shaw
    my blog is http://faithfor2008.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, thanks for your question. The RSV and NRSV translations are based on much more ancient manuscript families than the KJV, but there are a number of places (in Matt 2:1-12 alone, to say nothing of the entire NT!) where the RSV/NRSV haven't done a great job of translating.

    Two examples:
    1) In Matt 2:1, all three versions translate "magoi" as "wise men," despite the fact that "wise men" likely wouldn't have been the first ("magicians"), second ("astrologers"), or third ("Zoroastrian priests") thing that most ancient Christians thought of when they heard this word. Of course, if you're reading the Bible devotionally today, "wise men" is by far the least theologically problematic of these various translation options.

    2) In 2:2, all three say that the Magi saw the star "in the East," but the Greek much more likely means "at its rising" (meaning, when it rose up from the horizon). But the translation "in the East" is easier to fit into our frequent image of the Magi seeing the star wherever they were in the East, and then following it to Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete